Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Nested Tables and Karin

So this is the new "look." (Note: The buttons and tabs are not currently functional--I'll get them working this weekend.) I was thinking of doing this using CSS and PNG graphics, but then thought, "Huh? Am I trying to design to please some web standards board or am I just trying to get something done that will work well in most browsers?" So it's back to tables! I am using table background color for the vertical and horizontal color bars. Maybe this won't work in older browsers, but at least they will see something. If I used CSS, they wouldn't see anything close to the intended design.

I think when designing for the Web, you just got to go with what works and what you know :-) Anyway, the new layout uses a new wrinkle that I thought up to avoid nested tables, so I guess I'm improving the implementation as well.

So I've been watching a new series called Karin. It's about a family of vampires who live in Japan. The oldest sister, Karin, is a bit of an oddity, though. Instead of sucking blood out of humans, she does the opposite! Her body produces more blood than she needs, so when she bites someone, she is actually giving them a transfusion of vampire blood! (Of course, since vampire blood is incompatible with human blood, there's no problem--or whatever...)

Of course, if she can't find a "victim" in time she has an embarrassingly huge nose bleed (hey, it has to come out somewhere, right?). Did I mention that this is a romantic comedy? :-) The manga will be coming out next year from TokyoPop--retitled "Chibi Vampire." Perhaps the anime will be licensed here, too...

No comments: